Wednesday 20 January 2016

LITTLE TALKS ABOUT LIFE:A LESSON FROM A CHILD.

Today is probably the coldest day of the season in Jabalpur.As I approached one of its main commercial hubs, Gorakhpur, for a household errand I saw a small boy 7-8 years of age wearing a headgear-and loaded with a local two page evening newspaper-must be carrying at least 100,so much that he was almost getting crushed under their weight.I was a bit irritable –usual reaction after an average day in office-then he accosted me with a pleading look-Üncle paper loge kya’’-I gestured impatiently to the shop I had to go to,muttering under my breath and started walking off.He ran behind me-‘’Uncle ,laut kar loge kya’’-inspite of myself a small smile started to make its way from my heart to my lips.I walked off,silently.Did my errand,the humble brown  bread-and started climbing down the stairs of the shopping complex-there he was-again-this time with hope in his voice’’Uncle’’ he started to speak.I said ‘’kyon,aaj newspaper bikey nahi’’-‘’not even one’’-he replied.I said-‘’okay.kitne ka hai’’.’’do rupiya’’-he replied.I said-‘’achcha,de do’’.I fished in my purse but I had only a five rupee coin-I gave that to him.He looked at it and said-‘’çhillar nahi hai’’.I said’’theek hai beta,rakh lo’’.A smile spread across his face-‘’thank you uncle’’-he said.
I walked to my car,the irritation all gone,my faith reaffirmed in triumph of human spirit over destined adversities,smiling inspite of life’s irritants-.This young boy,uneducated in finer nuances of philosophy,struggling-maybe for his family-for that elusive good meal-that shoe he coveted-that school he dreamt of.And still-braving the chilly winds and insensitive people.I felt tiny in front of him the whole 6 foot plus frame of mine.We are in a mad rush-that corner office,the swanky cellphone,the fur coat,that promotion,-and in contrast there he was-all existence centered around a badly printed two page newspaper.
BUT THE REAL WORTH AND DEFINITION OF HUMAN LIFE I LEARNT FROM MY UNINTENDING LITTLE NEWSPAPER BOY TEACHER-this spirit is what human life is all about.The real story of our life is in these small human transactions.Value them.
As for my little newspaper boy-I intend to buy that newspaper I will probably never read-every single chilly evening I buy that brown bread.



2 comments: