Thursday 19 January 2023

SPRINGBOARD THEORY

  

I read a great post on Linkedin by Dr.Dixit that conviction is more important than motivation as a precursor to human action.Also that motivation is external and conviction is internal.This motivated me to write my view thereon.

Have some tangential and radical view (in the end)as an ex psychology student.Purely my own.Not sourced from anywhere.

A preliminary point:We often do a lot of things without conviction or without motivation.All of us have .Isn't it?

Social media,political propoganda,religious predilections ,familial requirements manipulate both our convictions and motivations, creating narratives contra to facts, playing on our responsibilities,duties,prejudices,biases,fears and desires.

Motivation to me is not external.There are three distinct sources of motivation as I read; extrinsic (head), intrinsic (heart), and transcendent (soul).What we get from outside is stimuli:positive and negative: eg a pat on the back at work ,a new promotion avenue...

But whether the stimuli motivates us depends on how that stimuli interacts with the three source theory i mentioned....

As for CONVICTION...I have a grammar of psychology and philosophy I developed ...it is interplay of words with their grammatical dimension and how it impinges on your personality..a lesson I learnt from the film The Last Emperor(more on this if any reader wishes)

CONVICTION is a noun...not a verb...it creates the foundation...but not the action.

To me both are important.

But human action mostly results from:

1.Necessity(need for roti,kapda aur makaan,safety etc)

2.Compulsion(forced by someone/situation)

3.Imitation/social

These three also ,in my view are spring boards of action.

But the biggest,noblest and source of finest human action results from" Passion."Look at human history.Proof is splashed all over.It is a complete life code-it has conviction,it has motivation ,it is its own raison d' etre.It is your calling.

Example:Eklavya from Mahabharata is the epitome of passion.Denied by Dronacharya he learns on his own by creating statue of Guru Drona.So much that Drona has to ask for his thumb because he knew Eklavya was a greater archer than his favorite pupil Arjuna.

.Arjuna had the conviction.He had the talent.But Eklavya alone had the passion.And the genius.

He will always be my hero above Arjuna.(except the giving of his thumb).(Just as Karna would be my ultimate friend.)


So conviction creates.Motivation prepares.

But passion does.


No comments:

Post a Comment